Below are frequently asked questions (FAQ)
about Zeus Publications' service and publishing packages.
What are 'second publishing rights?'
- Second publishing rights are the rights to use artwork that has been
previously published elsewhere. An example is using a painting that has been
previously published on the cover of a book on the cover of an audio CD.
What are 'non-transferable rights?'
- Non-transferable rights are those rights which are granted to one
person or company and cannot be used by another, third party. Publishing
rights for artwork commissioned by and used in Zeus Publications publishing
projects, for example, are non-transferable. We license the rights to use
the art in your book. But if you later decide to publish your book
elsewhere, you cannot use the same art; you must obtain new art for the new
edition of the book.
How is the retail price of my book determined?
- The Recommended Retail Price (also known as the RRP or "cover
price") of your book is determined by Zeus Publications, based on the
production cost and size of the book.
Can I include photographs in my book?
- Yes. You can include black and white photographs. (B&W images with
How many images can I include in my book?
- Usually there is no real limit on the number of monochrome images.
How long does it take before my book is available for sale?
- Once the cover design and layouts are approved and we send your book
to the printer, it takes about four weeks before your book is ready to be
ordered. The entire process, from receipt of your contract until the book is
available for sale, takes an average of six to eight months, depending on
the work needed on the project.
What kinds of books do you publish?
- We publish all kinds of books, including 'how to' books, children's
books, fiction, non-fiction and many other genres. We reserve the right to
reject any submission. We will not publish, for example, pornography,
libelous or slanderous material, or any material deemed illegal by
municipal, state or federal law.
How do I get paid?
- We send you half yearly sales reports showing the total number of
books sold (if any) in the previous period, and the total royalties owed to
you. We will send you a cheque for the amount of royalties owed, usually if
the amount is $AUD20.00 or over. Amounts less than that will be held over
until the next period.
Do you need an ABN number? (Australian residents only)
- You won't need an ABN number unless writing is your primary business
then you will need one to comply with Federal Tax Law. If you are a
professional writer, you will certainly need one.
What will my finished book look like?
- Your book can be published in either trade paperback 200 x 130 mm or
A5 paperback size and perfect bound.
- Paperback book covers are printed in full colour on one side, front
and back (unlike books printed by some online publishers, who print only B&W
- Sometimes it is a good idea to buy one of our books so you can see
the quality with which they are produced.
What about sales to
bookstores? Do you supply them? How do you get them into shops?
Zeus Publications distributes all
its own titles and those of Poseidon Books. Books are supplied to shops in the
normal manner and stocks are kept on hand, should there be a demand for the
title. There is no guarantee that shops will stock books, but our marketing
department does approach shops with a view to making this happen. There is no
cost to the author for this service and a royalty still applies on bookstore
sales. Books are supplied to stores on a sale or return basis at a fairly large
discount, standard in the trade. It should be noted here that bookstores will
only stock books if they want to and if they are interested in the title.
Remember that there are millions of books out there each vying for shelf space
What if my book has already been published elsewhere?
- As long as your publishing agreement for your book does not transfer
rights to the existing publisher, then you can publish your book through us.
Note that paperback (softcover) and hardback (hardcover) rights are often
treated separately. For example, if your book is currently available in
hardcover form and you have not also transferred the paperback rights to
your publisher, then we may be able to publish a paperback edition of your
book. When in doubt, it is always best to consult an attorney, who can look
over your agreement (contract) and determine if you can publish your book
through another publisher, perhaps in a new edition.
Do you edit my manuscript before publishing it?
- Yes, our extensive editing service includes a full edit and layout
of your book. Our editors will focus on typographical errors, improper
syntax, and the like. We do not alter the composition of your manuscript in
any substantial form without consultation with you. We do not rewrite or
substantially alter your manuscript, and you always have final approval over
any recommended changes.
I already have an ISBN. Can you use it for my book?
- No. Whenever a new edition of a book is published it must have a
unique ISBN. If the title, publisher, manuscript/text, author, publication
date or format (e.g., binding, size, etc.) changes, the new book is
considered a new edition and requires a new ISBN. Each publisher has its own
Publisher's Prefix Number, which is incorporated into the ISBN for each
title. We will assign a new ISBN for your book.
Can I submit my books layout myself?
- Layout and design is one of the services we provide as a publisher
and design studio, and our editing includes these services.
- We accept manuscripts only in MS Word, RTF or Text. We do all of the
formatting of your manuscript within MS Word or Lotus Word Pro.
Can I design my own cover?
- Absolutely. You can be as creative as you like. We will incorporate
your design as much as possible.
What is a 'graphic' or 'illustration?'
- Any image other than straight text printed inside the book is
considered an image. Examples include drawings, photographs, charts and
graphs, and the like.
I'm sending images to be included in my book. What format do you
need them to be?
- We use industry standard TIFF image files in production. Image files
should be sized at "original size" and no less than 300 DPI, or "dots per
inch." By "original size" we mean that the image file needs to be the same
dimensions as the image will be printed in your book. So if you have a
photograph that you want printed at 6x4" in the book, make sure that the
scanned image is sized at 6x4" and at least 300 DPI.
- If you intend to use a small image at a larger size in your book,
make sure to scan it at a higher resolution rather than enlarging the image
after it is scanned. For example, if you have a 2x3" image that you want
printed in your book at 4x6", then set the scanner to scan the image to 4x6"
at 300 DPI or scan it at 600 DPI.
- All B&W line art images should be in 1-bit or "bitmap" format, 600
DPI. All grayscale images should be in 8-bit or "grayscale" format, at 300
DPI or better. All color images must be in 24-bit CMYK format. Images not
submitted in the appropriate format will be converted for a nominal extra
Can you scan my photos or pictures for me?
- If you are not familiar with scanning and manipulation of digital
images, we can scan your original photos or pictures for you.
How should I submit my files?
- If you are submitting only your manuscript file, you can send it on
a 3.5" floppy disk (PC format), email attachment or CD/DVD - Rom. If
submitting graphic files (i.e., Jpegs, TIFFs) you may submit them on a
CD/DVD-ROM. Make sure your files are named so as to indicate what they are.
Click here for our mailing and shipping address.
Can I get extra books at a discount if I need them?
- Yes. Each Publishing Package includes a number of copies of your
book that are sent to you as part of the Package. You may purchase extra
books at the 20% author discount, plus shipping charges. The discount level
does increase with larger book purchases.
Can I embed images in my manuscript?
- Your manuscript can be sent to us as a Word doc which may include
images. It is best however, to send the images separately for us to include.
Can I use colour images in my book?
- Unfortunately no. All books published by Zeus Publications are
printed in black ink only. Colour images will reproduce in monochrome.
Have Another Question?
If you have a question that was not addressed within this FAQ page, please
contact us with your question. We will reply as quickly as possible with an
answer to your question.
Page| New Author Information
© Zeus Publications 2009